Monday, September 9, 2019

First Kiss - Warrior's Pledge (Pith Trilogy - Book 1)

Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss ~Keats

A FIRST KISS scene from Warrior's PledgeExcerpt copyright @2019 Kara Griffin



His hand caressed her hair, over the damp strands that hung by her shoulder. He looked as though he’d dare do whatever he wanted. Placing his arm around her, he pulled her close.
Julianna gasped. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…”
“Tempt me? But you have. There’s no reason to be sorry.”
Julianna couldn’t hold a single thought when he trapped her against him. With his rock-hard body pressed against hers, the indecency of it never occurred to her. He lowered his head until his lips touched hers. His warm breath felt nice against her lips. She melted in his embrace when his tongue slipped inside her mouth. He deepened the kiss, not giving her a moment to pull away. She’d never experienced anything as riveting before. The kiss became ardent, igniting her soul. Passion flowed through her as it had never before. She pulled him closer and never wanted to let go.
The warrior knew what he was doing. Julianna wasn’t sure if she minded or not. Never had she been kissed as thoroughly. His hard body pressed against hers at the exact moment his hand moved to her bottom. He seemed as out of control as she was. She liked the way his mouth dominated hers with a sense of his expertise. Her breasts, barely covered by her nightrail, crushed against his muscular chest, and sent odd sensations through her. Twinges of desire trembled inside her and made her aware of his touches and his body.
Held motionless by his strength, Julianna was overcome with panic. She’d liked the kisses, but now it had gone too far. Aware of what he intended, she forced him to release her by stepping out of his embrace.
“I don’t know what came over me…to allow you to…” her whisper sounded strange. Julianna’s legs trembled and she took a calming breath. Once she regained control of her thoughts, she realized the jeopardy she was in. Before she fled, he touched her face.
“Who are you? What I mean to say is… Where are you from? I already know who you are.”
“Do you?” She couldn’t believe the turn of their conversation. “I assure you, we have not been introduced.” How should he know her unless… Was she the woman he spoke of to Charles?
“Aye, you’re Lady Julianna. I could be easily enticed…” His eyes implored her with a teasing look.
“Is that so, my lord? What if I don’t wish to tempt you?”
“I can be persuasive. You’re a bonny lass, and I couldn’t stop myself from kissing you.”
“Who are you? Are you here for the wedding?”
“I’m Colin MacKinnon, and aye, I’m here for the wedding. What do you say we get the friar now and save us the trouble of finding him later?” His arms trapped her by the tree and he wouldn’t let her turn.
“As much as that appeals, I do believe it’s time for goodnight.” She ducked under his arm and was about to run when he swung her around. She frowned at his smile. He stood too near and made her lose her thought.
“Wait, lass, I didn’t mean to offend you. You’re not taken, are you? Is there somewhere we can meet? I jested about the friar.” He held fast and wouldn’t let her withdraw.
Julianna should have been outraged by his remarks, but for some reason, she found him charming. Still, a lady should show a reaction to his behavior, shouldn’t she? She swung her hand and slapped him across the cheek.
The warrior had the gall to laugh. She wasn’t about to be mocked, but then again, she wasn’t as brave as she’d let on. He would probably laugh harder if she were to strike him again. How had she thought an insignificant slap would affect him? He didn’t even flinch.
“You dropped your weapon at the pond. Here, take it.”
She gasped at the realization he’d watched her at the pond. The knave spied on her. How much had he seen? He pressed the dagger into her hand.
“You dare much to return my weapon, my lord, but I shan’t use it on you and waste a good effort. I must return to the keep, please allow me to pass.”
“Let me come to you tonight, I’ll pleasure you like no other. I will even entice you since you are objectionable about enticing me.” He pulled her close. “I want to kiss you again.”
“I suppose you think I should be grateful for your offer, my lord, but I—”
His lips took possession of hers again and his hand roamed the material of her nightrail until the splendor of his palm covered her breast. She didn’t have the strength to move him. Something awakened inside her, and she wanted to feel his hard body against hers. Her hands moved over his chest, where she felt the pounding of his heart.
He overwhelmed her with his kisses, so much so she didn’t think about the consequence of her actions. She needed to get away from him and the danger he presented. Julianna pinched his forearm with force. He became aware she wasn’t returning his kiss.
She pulled back to reproach him. “My lord, please, you shouldn’t kiss me. Now, release me.” She stomped on his boot then held her foot and grimaced in pain. Somehow she maintained her balance and dignity.
Before he spoke, she fled and didn’t dare look back. She didn’t stop running until she reached the hall. The men in the hall continued their debate, and she slipped past them unnoticed. Once she entered the chamber, she closed the door and leaned against it. Those inside the room continued to slumber. Her heart thumped madly in her chest. Mayhap there was magic in the love act, he certainly weaved a spell over her with his kisses.

Don't miss WARRIOR'S PLEDGE

No comments: