Friday, September 13, 2019

First Kiss - Conquered Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 1)

First Kiss - CONQUERED HEART (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 1)
Excerpt copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin



Kerrigan was fascinated. “Why must you flee? Oh, I understand, you cannot be found. If someone recognized you, you would be pursued. Is that right?”
“Aye, that is correct.”
“I’m curious of what you run from.” She placed her hand against his neck, and caressed the heat of his skin, and the slickness of the cover-up.
Graeme pulled her against him. He tilted her face back. “If I told you, lass, I’d have to kill you.”
She smiled even though his words should have frightened her. “As curious as I am, I believe I can forget this conversation ever happened.”
He grinned and kept his eyes fixed on hers. She leaned upward and set a gentle kiss on his lips, but didn’t want a gentle kiss and hoped he would take her hint. She wanted all of him, without restrictions, without consequences. With him close, she wouldn’t lose the opportunity to kiss him as she wanted. She pulled him closer and held his face to better position herself. Using her mouth, she swarmed him with a hot-blooded kiss, one which surely let him know of her desire.
When he pulled back, he frowned. “I’m the one in danger here because I cannot resist the desire to kiss you for the rest of the night. My honor disallows me to do so. But I hope that kiss was unforgettable.”
“Everything about you is unforgettable.”
Graeme rose and helped her to stand. “We should get rest. Morn will be here soon and the others will rise.”
Kerrigan hid her disappointment and followed him inside. She noticed his comrades washed and set their bedrolls and settled to sleep. Graeme set about washing. He said nothing more. With a dampened cloth, she wiped her face and hands, and sighed at the thought she washed away their kiss. This night, she wouldn’t get any sleep, not with all her worries, and because of the kiss they shared.
She often slept like the dead. No one rousted her early, at least before the sun rose. It was a habit she’d had since she was wee. She opened an eye and spied the chamber and heard the noise of the occupants. Annag banged a pot she set upon the fire. Finley sharpened the spear he used for fishing. The French woman nursed the bairn and hummed softly. Gruff tones of Graeme and his men sounded from across the large chamber.
It was then she noticed the fire pit in the center of the room. Stones encircled it and smoke drifted to the high peak of the cave’s roof. There was a small amount of light where a hole allowed the smoke to filter through. From her vantage point the cave felt as vast as the great halls of Edinburgh and Stirling.
She didn’t want to awaken and closed her eyes. Kerrigan was content to listen to the surrounding sounds. The noise drifted and quieted. Someone touched her shoulder.
“Lass, are you awake?”
She recognized Graeme’s voice. “Hmm. I’m trying to wake.”
“It’s time to open your eyes.” Graeme chuckled and shook her shoulder. “Are you that tired? The day is half gone.”
“Nay,” she said grumpily and sat up. “I’m awake. What is it?”
“I must go.”
Kerrigan rubbed her eyes and noticed all vacated the main chamber. The prior days exhausted her. She’d gotten little sleep the night before, amongst her worries and what with the bairn’s cries, and listening for the men’s return. Early in the morn she rousted with the men’s training. They weren’t quiet and the clang of their swords and their shouts intrigued her enough to get her out of bed. It was worse than lying in the same chamber as a snoring man. And the remembrance of their kiss kept her from falling back to sleep.
“Be off with you then,” she grumbled. She bunched the covers she slept on and rose. When she reached the table, she turned and bumped into Graeme who stood directly behind her. “I thought you were leaving?”
“Aye, I am, but I wanted to tell you I have someone searching for news of Andrew Moray. We should learn something soon.”
“I am pleased. Thank you, Graeme. Where are you off to?” She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and tried to clear her mind from the drowsy fog.
“I travel today and won’t be back for a few days, mayhap three. Will you be well?” He moved closer.
Kerrigan didn’t understand her reaction to him. She’d never been attracted to a man before and found none of them appealing. But Graeme charmed her. His face exuded strength with his lightly whiskered jaw, his neck thicker than most men, and his shoulders wide, and set with pride. His hands and forearms thick and strong. He could crush her with his bare hands. But Graeme carried himself with honor and reverence.
She daren’t gaze lower to his midsection, certain she’d blush as crimson as the flowers that grew by the village gate. He made her anxious. Yet she wanted to smile because he was near. It made no sense to her, the strange and aloof response.
“Kerrigan?”
“Oh aye, I shall be fine. I will go to the village later to locate the mother of the bairn.”
He took her arm and held her. “You shouldn’t go to the village. It might be dangerous. I bid you to stay here. When I return, I’ll take you.”
“The English haven’t come, and whilst I have time, I should look. The mother might flee with all the others. Nay, I must go. I promise not to linger.”
“You will do as you are wont, so I won’t stop you. If you need help or need us, send word to Friar Hemm. He can reach me.”
“I shall be well. Worry not.”
He dawdled and didn’t have a care to leave. Kerrigan pretended to gather foodstuff to eat. She took a quick bite of a sliced apple. He continued to hold her arm, but she didn’t pull away. Content to be near him, she waited for him to say something.
“What news about the war? Has anyone heard from Laird Bruce?”
Graeme released her and stepped back. “Aye, he’s returned from exile and was crowned. Robert the Bruce is now king of Scotland. He’s taking arms against his enemies.”
“I’m uncertain if that’s good news, is it?” She finished the apple slice and took another.
“It may be good. He aims to war against the MacDoughalls this summer because they allied with the Comyn clan.”
Kerrigan jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly. She grew excited at the news and didn’t realize how forward she’d been. Her cheeks heated when she felt her breasts firmly against his chest, and slowly she released him. “I apologize, it’s just this news… I have hoped, prayed, the MacDoughalls would pay.”
“What of the MacDoughall’s? What do you know of them? I thought you were of Morays?”
She didn’t deem the information secret and it wouldn’t have bearing on her safety. “I was taken in by Laird Moray and made his ward after our home was attacked by the MacDoughalls. I’m of the Campbell clan. They killed my clansmen, likely my mother, and chased us from our lands in the battle of the Red Ford.”
Graeme firmed his lips. “Our king is determined they pay for siding with the Comyns. The Bruce will stop at nothing to defeat them.”
“If they are conquered, will I be able to return home?” Kerrigan only hoped it was so. How she longed to return to the place where she’d had happiness. So long she awaited joyous news.
“I’m sorry, lass, but it’s unlikely. The Campbells scattered to the north. The king aims to meet them and ask for their support. Once we find the wee lord, you’ll go with him to our king.”
“Why would I go with the wee lord?” Kerrigan bit her lower lip and considered what that meant. She wasn’t sure she wanted to meet the king. If she did so, she’d leave Graeme, her friends, and put herself in more danger. Not only that, but she’d have to accept the betrothal the Bruce would surely mention. She wouldn’t voice her concern about it to Graeme until she gave it more thought. Taking another apple slice, she popped it into her mouth.
“The Bruce will see to Moray’s safety and yours.”
“Perhaps. Still, I’m pleased to the MacDoughalls will pay. I hope the king thwarts them. They deserve nothing less.”
“Brodin won’t be pleased you’re from the Campbells. His clan, the Grants, are sworn enemies of your clan. At least the Campbells and the Grants allied with the Bruce. Robert will protect you.”
“I wasn’t aware of the hostility between our clans. I don’t want Brodin to be angry with me. Will you tell him so?”
“I shall. Worry not. Do you know what I’ve been thinking?”
Her heart raced and her breath quickened at the sultry tone of his voice. She hastily swallowed the apple before answering, “Nay.”
“About our kiss, lass. Aye, it was over too quick for my liking.” He lowered his mouth and touched his lips to hers.


Don't miss CONQUERED HEART
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JUXNSKQ

No comments: