Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Beginnings - One & Only (Gunn Guardsman book 1)

One & Only


She was destined to be his
Until the day she disappeared
Saved by the gray-eyed warrior
She is returned to her past
To a life she’d only dreamed of…

Grey Gunn gave up hope of ever finding Albrey Mackay. He vowed never to forget the sprightly lass and reconciled his life to what all great lairds should–warring and protecting his clan. When he finds out his enemy is betrothed, he vows a bride for a bride.

Bree doesn’t recollect her young years. All she knows is a betrothal has been arranged to a MacHeth follower. MacHeth is a brutal man who intends to use her as a pawn to usurp King Alexander in a feud that began twenty years prior with his father, King William. Her only chance to thwart the marriage is to barter for the protection of the Gunn Clan.

As Bree gets to know the hardened chieftain, Grey Gunn, she’s astounded by the love of a clan she’d always hoped for. But is that love enough to let go all the pain of her past and begin living the life she was destined to with her One & Only?



Prologue excerpt from One & Only copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin


Mackay Keep
Winter Solstice
Highlands, Scotland 1190


The bairn wouldn’t be thrown out with the wash water if he had anything to do with it. He held the newborn babe in his arm and tucked his tartan around her to ward off the chill. The bairn’s wails forced him to slow his mount and reposition her more securely. He hoped none who journeyed with him heard her cries because none could know what he was about to do. As he rode toward the Mackay outbuildings, he surmised he was doing the right thing. He couldn’t turn back now with the holding within sight.
A man such as him had too many pressing responsibilities to care for such a wee one. He had no means to keep the babe in his home. His wife wouldn’t welcome a bastard child born of a common maid and nor would he ask it of her. Although he fathered several bastards who he kept watch over, he suspected his wife would raise holy hell if he brought them home as he wanted.
With him, a score of men from various clans rode along and protected him as was his due. His goal of uniting the clans so he could concentrate on the greater mission of gaining back the northern lands Scotland had lost became difficult. There was much dissension these days. He hoped Ian Mackay welcomed those in his company, and if he did not, the guard would await him in yonder woods. He understood the alliances and treaties amongst the northern clans. Though he respected the issue against their enemies, he demanded reverence for his position. Mackay’s enemies were also his allies.
A brisk wind blew and brought a cold night this winter solstice. Few celebrated outdoors and yet various fires lit the hills. Smoke from cottage hearths filled the air with the scent of cooking and peat. His guard dispersed and several guardsmen employed their protection by the outer walls. Only his closest confidants and most trusted men awaited him by the main building.
He reached the courtyard of the small holding where Ian lived and dismounted. With a silent command to his guard, he told them to be vigilant. There by the door, his longtime friend met him at the entrance.
“Your Grace, you come. Join me inside and get warm. It’s biting with chill this eve.” Ian Mackay stepped back and allowed him and his few followers inside.
He stepped into the great hall and welcomed the warmth from the blazing hearth. He wasn’t sure how to ask Ian the favor, but his comrade was the only man he trusted with such a request.
“You travel with unsavory company.” Ian waved a hand to a servant who stepped forward and offered refreshment. He then motioned to all others to vacate the hall.
“My men stay.” He nodded at the three men who stood near the entrance. Two soldiers whose duty was to see to his protection, the younger lad, employed to see to whatever tasks he set him.
With his hands full carrying the bairn, he shook his head and rejected the drink offer. “Best to keep your enemies close, Ian.”
“Aye, so you can be stabbed in the back?” Ian gestured to a chair near the hearth and sat across from him. “I don’t deem that wise, Your Grace.”
“Nay, so I can learn their secrets and know when I’m about to be set upon. I know you distrust the MacHeths and MacWilliams, Ian. I aim to give them the opportunity to prove their fealty and loyalty. And if they do not…”
Ian scratched his beard and grinned. “I doubt they will. I wouldn’t be trusting. Still, you are welcome here with whatever company you wish to attend. My entire clan is on alert. They will be watched most cautiously whilst they are on my land.”
At that moment, the bairn let out a hungry wail. He shifted the bundle in his lap and looked to Ian, unknowing how to placate the wee one.
“What have you there?”
“My bairn, a wee daughter.” He exposed the babe and gazed at the face of the angelic creature. Her shiny eyes met his and a small smile came to her tiny lips. She was lovely akin to her mama with tufts of blonde hair and eyes which would surely be as blue as the sky. He envisioned Katherine’s face, a sweeter woman never existed. How he would miss her.
“Your child? Where is her mother?”
He sighed when the bairn wailed louder and he repositioned the babe to cradle her in his arms. “Died birthing the lass. I came because I need your aid. Is there a wet nurse here?”
Ian stood and called forth a servant. “Nettie, fetch a wet nurse and tell my lady we have company. Be hasty.” He retook his seat and eyed him in stunned silence.
“Ian, I cannot stay long. I came to seek your service. I need someone to keep the lass safe. She has no one save me and I… I have much to accomplish these days. My council advises me to secure the child before news of her birth absconds and causes senseless discord. Ears are rife for such news. My wife, though she politically strengthens Scotland, wouldn’t welcome a bastard even if she is a lass. I doubt she’d care for a bairn not of her own and yet she hasn’t given me a legitimate heir.”
“I see. Aye, your wife’s family relations put you in a tedious position.” Ian spired his fingers and drew them to his mouth.
“My wife is the granddaughter of Henry and I would rather not give England cause to bring us grief at present what with having to keep our lands secure.”
“Truly, you shouldn’t trust the MacHeths or the MacWilliams, Your Grace. They scheme to recoup their lands and would oust you as sure as I am laird to the Mackays. MacWilliam covets the crown and surely will go to any length to gain it.” Ian scowled at the meaning of his words, as did he.
“His claim is null and it shall not come to pass. MacWilliam is the least of my problems. I am beset with political matters which outweigh his paltry claims.”
Ian nodded and gave him an incredulous glance as he caressed the tiny head of the babe. “She is a bonny bairn. You want me to care for her? We have many in the clan who would gladly accept her.”
“Nay, I want you to keep her, claim her as your own daughter. Raise her as a Mackay. Give her the life I cannot. I want her to be loved, Ian. Her mother was a worthy woman and I owe her that much, to assure her bairn is well cared for.”
“If that is your wish, Your Grace, of course. We shall be honored to call her daughter. My wife will probably shriek with joy. She cannot bear more children and with our two almost grown, she misses caring for a wee one.”
“Aye, your Maudie is a good mother, Ian. Your children are healthy and happy. It’s all I can hope for the wee lass. I give her to you then. Tell none she is mine. My enemies would think nothing of using the child against me. I won’t have my daughter endangered.” He held the babe out to his friend and felt the weight of his troubles lift from his shoulders when Ian took her.
Several ladies entered the hall. Ian handed the babe to a woman who fussed over the bairn and left hastily. He watched his daughter disappear; her cries becoming distant, and a touch of woe came to him.
“We shall care greatly for her and she shall be loved. Have no worry, Your Grace.”
“I have no concern now, Ian, and I thank you. I shall reward you one day for your favor.” With his child secure, he settled into a chair and snatched the drink which had been offered earlier. “Now tell me of Highland news.”



Don't miss One & Only
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097SABIW

Oh my gosh I bought this because I loved the cover as well as highlanders. Who doesn't!? Kara Griffin is now my top highlander historical romance author!

No comments: