Friday, September 13, 2019

First Kiss - Unbreakable Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 2)

First Kiss - Unbreakable Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 2)
Excerpt copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin


“You’re betrothed to me.” He sat on the closest chair and settled her on his lap. She must’ve been rattled for she didn’t protest and remained still.
“No, I’m betrothed to another.”
“Liam, explain why you deem her to be betrothed to you.” Graeme’s impatience wore.
He gave a sharp glance at Graeme. As much as he liked the bewilderment in her eyes, he decided to appease his comrade and leaned his head closer to hers. “Tell him the name of your betrothed. You do know it, do you not?”
Her eyes shot to her hands. She fiddled with her fingers and twisted them until she folded them and placed them on her lap. “Of course I do. His name is … I only know him as Kincaid. He’s the Earl of Lennox’s nephew. The betrothal was made years ago, but he hasn’t come.”
Liam didn’t like sound of dejection in her tone. “I’ve been unable to.”
“You … You are … You’re Kincaid?”
“Aye. Liam Kincaid, the Earl of Lennox’s nephew,” he said, grinning at her confusion.
Graeme laughed his arse off.
“I don’t know what to do. Why have you avoided the betrothal? I don’t understand.”
“I was unfortunately delayed. My comrades and I are in service to the king. I’ve been protecting King Robert and will continue to do so.” He scowled at Graeme to get him to cease his laughter, but his comrade didn’t cooperate or help his situation.
“And now you want to honor the betrothal?”
“Hell yes. If I’d known, lass, how bonny you are, I’d have made my way to you sooner.” He smiled knowing what he spoke was the truth. “We will wed on the morrow.” Liam stated the last in a firm and assertive tone, because she appeared akin to a frightened doe, ready to scamper off and hide.
“It doesn’t matter. I must have your promise to teach me to use the sword.”
Liam felt her body tense. “As my wife, you will leave it to me to enact your revenge. I will kill this foe of yours. You only need to name him.”
She stared at him long and hard, and if he wasn’t mistaken, her eyes turned greener. Now that he got a closer look at her, he found her to be even more appealing. The pertness of her nose, coupled with the sparse freckles made her enchanting. Not only was she bonny, but she was petite and a gentle lass.
“I will kill my own foe. I only need your help in learning to use the weapon.”
Mayhap not such a gentle lass. He took hold of her chin and turned her face so she’d look at him. “It was not an offer, lass, but a command. Tell me who you seek and he will exist no longer.” There was no way he’d allow her near a weapon. He was firm in his resolve until a moment later when she gave him a condition of her own.
“I do thank you, Kincaid, but nay. This foe will die by my hand. I have a condition as well. I will wed you, but only because my father willed it so, and because you will teach me to use the sword. Otherwise, I shan’t speak the words.”
Graeme laughed and fell back in his chair. “She’s got a wee bit of gumption. What say you, Liam? Are ye getting married or not?”
She was going to be difficult. Aye, the sweet lass had a wee bit of fire in her. Liam grinned and nodded. He had no choice but to accept her condition.
“I agree to your ridiculous requirement. We shall seal the pact with a kiss.” Before she could protest, he set his mouth against hers. Kissing Makenna was pleasurable, so much so that Liam got caught up in the sensuality of it. He held her face, cradled in his rough palms. Soft lips pressed against his mouth. He deepened the kiss unbeknownst where it would lead. When her lips responded, a possessive aura came to him. His tongue grazed hers, lightly coaxing hers to mingle with his.
The kiss was more than he’d expected and desire struck him. He wanted her, wanted to make her forget her despair, and wanted her beneath him. Never had his heart raced as it was doing now.
Liam drew back and smiled because she appeared as dazed as he. He hadn’t told an untruth when he agreed to her condition. She wanted to learn the sword, and he’d train her. He didn’t say it would be easy on her. His deception formed and he chuckled. One way or another, he would sway her to give up such a farfetched notion.



Don't miss UNBREAKABLE HEART
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WLJ2NGV

No comments: