Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Dark Moments - On A Highland Hill (Gunn Guardsman - Book 2)

Dark Moments - On A Highland Hill (Gunn Guardsman - Book 2)
Excerpt copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin


When they reached the others, they stood closer to the group, the men stood behind her silently awaiting the king’s orders. Except for the sounds the horses made, and the wind, all quieted. The tension of the moment stiffened her back and tensed her heart.
mac Raghnaill approached. His eyes black with anger. “Alexander, she’s my betrothed, I only want back what is mine. I’ll take her and leave.”
Alexander laughed. “I believe the McInnish laird might have a thing or two to say about that since you speak of his wife.”
Domhnall glanced at Kenneth and then at her. A bright red flushed his cheeks with anger. Elisa reached into the seam of her overdress where she’d stored the dagger. She held it tightly knowing she would use it should she need to.
Domhnall stared at her, his gaze hot with ire. Before anyone could react, Domhnall grabbed her and held her in front of him. His sword crossed over and against her chest.
“Don’t come any closer or she’ll be no more. I vow I’ll kill her.”
Everyone took a step back, except for Sean and Colm who stood behind her.
“You’re a dead man,” Kenneth said heatedly.
Alexander motioned for him to quiet. “I’ve proof of your treason against Haakon, Domhnall. You will die at his hands anyway. Release the lass at once.”
“Nay, I will not. What proof?”
Alexander pulled the parchment from his tunic and waved it in the air. “Do you want me to read it aloud before all? Do you wish to hear your own brother’s words involving you in his scheme to overthrow Haakon and take his crown?”
Domhnall backed a step and drug Elisa with him. She held the dagger and waited for an opportune time to use it. She tried to think of something to avert his attention.
“He lies. I had no involvement in Rory’s scheme. Why would I care if my brother took Haakon’s crown? I have lands aplenty. I came for my betrothed.” He gripped her tighter and kept his gazed fixed on the king.
“Nay, I believe it is you who lies,” the king said.
Elisa needed to draw his attention away from the king and she had to say something, “Domhnall, they took me. I had no choice. Please, don’t let them take me back. Why did you take me from my home?”
He loosed his hold slightly. “I thought you were Mauri. I was gladdened you weren’t, for she was a harridan. You were sweet, and I wanted to keep you, and so I did.” His words heated her neck as close as he held her.
Elisa tried to keep his attention focused on her. “Why didn’t you ever tell me?”
“I didn’t want to upset you. I suspected you knew about… It doesn’t matter now, Elisa.” Domhnall turned his attention back to the others and gazed ahead. “Step back or I vow she’ll be gone. I won’t hesitate to kill her.”
“Release my wife or by God, my sword will pierce your black heart.” Kenneth wasn’t about to stand down. That worried Elisa.
She gave a pleading look to him, but Kenneth shook his head.
Domhnall pushed her behind him as if to protect her from Kenneth.
“Aye, I should kill you for taking what is mine. You and Gunn are liars and should both meet death by my hand.” He sneered and kept his gaze on them, pointing his sword at them. Domhnall maddened and swung his sword as if he was threatened, but no one moved.
Elisa gripped her dagger and held it behind her, and waved it, hoping either Sean or Colm would take it. It was pulled from her grasp.
“Come, Elisa, we will leave and be gone from these tyrants.” Domhnall held his hand out and she took it to keep him appeased.
Elisa spied Sean inching closer. He thrust the dagger at Domhnall’s back. It entered the left side easily tearing through his body with the force he applied. She heard Domhnall’s intake of breath and then a few seconds later, he crumbled to the ground.
She was pushed back by the force of Sean’s shove, and she scrunched her eyes closed and stood there, her blood rushed through her and rang her ears. When she gained enough courage to open her eyes, everyone stared silently, their mouths agape at Sean’s attack. Grey and Kenneth started to approach, but the king stopped them.
“You two will leave now, both of you. Take your armies home before I change my mind and have you imprisoned for treason. You deceived me when you returned with her. And then you, Kenneth McInnish, married the lady without my permission.”
Grey held Kenneth back.
“I won’t leave without my wife.”
“You are and you shall. She doesn’t want you punished for what you did, lying to your king and thwarting my efforts to handle this matter.”
“She’ll come with me.” Kenneth tore his arm from Grey’s grip. “Elisa?”
“I won’t punish you, Kenneth, but the lady will stay here by her choice. You’ll leave her be and return to your lands.” Alexander spoke quietly to the dark-haired man next to him for a moment.

Elisa’s heart thumped madly. Grey took hold of Kenneth’s arm and forced him to move. She watched as her husband walked away without a word to her. She wanted to cry, or at the very least, shout at him. He didn’t care and wouldn’t fight for her. She’d done the right thing by sending him away.


Don't miss On A Highland Hill


No comments: