Friday, September 13, 2019

First Kiss - Undeniable Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 4)

First Kiss - Undeniable Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 4)
Excerpt Copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin


They were alone. Nerves got the better of her, but she had to say something before he too retreated inside and she missed the opportunity to make amends. She rushed forward and threw herself into his body. With her arms around his waist, she felt his body stiffen. He didn’t return the embrace. His hands fisted by his sides and he kept his gaze on the cave entrance.
Dallis sighed wearily, knowing his acceptance would be difficult. He grabbed her hand and pulled her along until he reached the nearby pines. The scent heavy from recent rains infiltrated her nose and she sneezed. Their location was private and the surrounding land hilly. She understood why they resided in the caves and had heard mention of their hiding from the king. Although, she was hesitant to ask too many questions what they’d done to warrant their banishment.
Dallis had to defuse the situation. He was angry. There’d be no forgiveness from him if he stayed ireful. She did the only thing she could think of to mollify the situation. She kissed him.
Her lips touched his and she pressed against his hard body, hoping to allay him. With all her heart, she hoped he’d respond. At the slightest movement of his lips, she moaned in joy. She pulled back and took a breath. The kiss was that of a modest nature and not at all sensual. Yet, the thought of kissing him brought forth a rush of delight and assuredly a brush of crimson to her cheeks.
He didn’t give her time to collect herself before he yanked her hard against him and took possession of her mouth. Dallis hadn’t expected such a show of passion, but when his tongue lashed at hers, the kiss became more than tumultuous. She tensed at his forthright manner and her insides fluttered madly. Fear forced her to draw away.
Brodin wasn’t being adoring or romantic. He used his aggressiveness to frighten her. She contritely admitted his plan worked. His brashness was somewhat punishment, she supposed.
“Why did you kiss me?”
Dallis stepped back. His voice hardened yet had a lyrical sound to it akin to a soft touch. He didn’t sound displeased which lightened her. “Whenever my mother upset my da, she would kiss him until he forgave her.”
His gaze pierced her. “I am not so easily won over as your da.”
“Why did you kiss me back?” Dallis couldn’t look at him when she asked. His silent glare caused a shiver to trembler her insides. “If you meant to frighten me … You don’t have to answer—”
“Because your kiss wasn’t praiseworthy. I wanted you to ken what a proper kiss—”
“Please, we shall just agree that the kiss was of no consequence.”
“The hell it wasn’t.”
She took a breath and decided not to argue with him. It was best to keep him amiable. “I wanted to explain … my reasons for …”
Brodin sighed and his chest tightened the thin fabric of his tunic. “You deceived me.”
“Aye and I’m sorry for it. I wish I didn’t have to …”
He fisted his hands at his side and his usually bright eyes darkened. “I almost killed the last lass who deceived me. Tell me why I shouldn’t kill you?”
As much as she tried to keep calm, a bristle of panic stiffened her back. Dallis took a step back to put a wee bit of space between them. And if she needed to run, it would be easier to turn and flee if he wasn’t standing so close. With his long legs, he’d likely catch up to her right quick. The thought of fleeing him was pitiful. She thought his question absurd. “Do you honestly expect me to answer that?”
“Aye.” He folded his arms over his stomach in wait. “Give me one sound reason why I shouldn’t.”
She ruminated for at least a minute. The silence betwixt them discomforting her to the point that sweat formed on her forehead. “If you wish to slay me, then do so. I couldn’t stop you and have not the strength to defend myself.


Don't miss Undeniable Heart
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MP9PPLS 

No comments: