Friday, September 20, 2019

Dark Moments - Fearless Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 3)

Dark Moments - Fearless Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 3)
Excerpt copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin



Lillia followed James inside and King Robert stood upon their entry. He waved James forward. Lillia was content to await by the door. She shifted from one foot to the other, anticipating the king’s harsh words. But he surprised her by bidding her to join him at the table.
“Come and join us.”
She warily approached and inclined her head, curtseying to him. “My lord, Your Grace.”
“So you’re the woman the Comyns deem to use against me?”
“Apparently so, my lord. I have no designs on ruling Scotland or taking the crown from you. As you can see, I am a simple woman only interested in keeping my husband’s home and perhaps giving him a bairn or two.”
King Robert laughed and his eyes crinkled. He appeared to be kind-natured, with trusting blue eyes, and a curl about his dark brown hair. She might put the word handsome to him, but since he was her adversary, she decided not to like him.
“Nay, and I am grateful for it is a trying task, ruling this kingdom. Trust me, for I’ve done nothing but give myself to the cause and the duties are never ending. Are you hungry?”
She nodded. “A wee bit.”
“Join me.” He hitched a finger, and a woman stepped forward and set a trencher before her filled with meats and bread.
Lillia ate until she couldn’t stomach another bite. James kept quiet through the meal although he ate enough to fill two trenchers. Remarkably, he actually used manners which verily shocked her.
“Lillia Hunter, we need to discuss this situation.”
“Aye, my lord. I was going to suggest—”
He cut her off by holding up his hand. “I bid you to remain here under mine roof whilst we ferret out the traitorous Comyns. Until they are dispatched, I cannot have you unguarded.”
“My lord, I promise I shan’t do anything to go against you. I do wish to return to my husband for he will worry.”
Robert’s regard turned to James. “You did not speak of a husband, James. Who is the lass wedded to? One of my fighters?”
James nodded. “Aye, but I agree with you, sire, for the woman needs remain here for her safety and protection. The Comyns continue their search of her and will stop at nothing to obtain her. If they do get to her, they won’t have a care that she doesn’t wish to vie for the kingdom.”
Lillia scowled at James. Damn him for going against her. James was a churlish, dour-faced, heathen. The tirade in her mind ceased because she’d continue coming up with vile names for the lout. “They cannot make me do something I am not wont.”
King Robert laughed. “A strong-willed woman, are you? It matters not, Mistress, for if the Comyns wish to use you they shall. Nothing you do or would do could stop them. Nay, for your husband will have to do without you for now. When the threat has passed, I shall consider releasing you. For now, you will reside here.”
Lillia wanted to object again, but the king rose. “Sire, please …”
“You will stay within these walls until I can get you to a safer residence. We shall leave within the sennight for Turnbury.” King Robert motioned to his guards. “Take the lass and put her in my chamber. I will find another. Be sure the door is well locked. She is not to leave.” When she gave him a dismayed glance, he added, “’Tis for your own safety that I keep you locked in the chamber, Mistress.”
She beseeched him, “Sire, please I must return to my husband. Will you not listen to my proposal? I vow that I shan’t vie for your kingdom. No one—”
He turned his back to her and held up his hand, ceasing her speech. “I will not listen your pleas, Mistress. Our discussion is over.”
The men took hold of her arms and forced her to a chamber down a small hallway. She was pushed inside and the door forcefully closed behind her. Their abruptness caused her to misstep and she tripped on a floorboard. Her head struck the edge of a wooden bedframe and her vision blurred. A burn came to her face, and she realized she’s scraped it in her fall. She lay on the floor rubbing the forming bump and stinging of her cheek. Tears filled her eyes.
Lillia was crestfallen to realize there were no windows and her escape thwarted. So much for her plan to appease the king and be on her merry way.



Don't miss Fearless Heart


No comments: