Wednesday, September 11, 2019

First Kiss - On A Highland Hill (Gunn Guardsman - Book 2)

First Kiss - On A Highland Hill (Gunn Guardsman - Book 2)
Excerpt copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin



“Many a bride weds without knowing her groom. We Gunns are honorable and would never harm a woman. Sean didn’t mean to strike you so hard, but you gave us a wee bit of trouble. Women are revered in our clan and are the heart of all we hold important, our children. Elisa, you must marry me if we’re to protect you.”
“You’re all too noble, but you don’t want to wed me. Must you all make it sound like a death sentence? Aye, like you’ll meet the executioner,” she said in a weak voice. “I won’t make us both miserable.”
His heart thudded. They’d insulted her. Her pride was bruised and when a woman’s pride was involved there’d be hell to pay. Kenneth understood what it felt like because his pride had been bruised many a time, and he’d be damned if he’d cause her affront.
“I’m sorry, Elisa. We didn’t mean to make it sound that way. You don’t like Sean, do you? If you would rather wed him…” Kenneth hoped not, because he’d be a fool for trying to rescue her from Sean.
She clasped her hands in front of her and leaned against the boulder, looking distant. “Nay, I would rather not. He’s…he’s insufferable. But why would you sacrifice yourself for my safety? Are you all honor-bound and willing to do whatever your laird commands?”
“Mayhap, we are. I vowed to protect him and the Gunn clan. And you’ll be safe on Gunn land after this day. I won’t let any harm to come to you.” Kenneth didn’t know what else to say.
“And I’m supposed to want to marry you because you wish to protect me?”
He nodded and leaned against the rock next to her. He considered her question for a moment, and tenseness overcame him. “There are worse reasons to wed. There’s something about you which I…” Kenneth leaned close. He didn’t realize he would kiss her until his lips found hers. His mouth hovered for a slight second before he took full possession of the sweetest lips he’d ever kissed.
The softness of her lips moved against his. Kenneth didn’t mean to ravish her, but honest to God, that’s what he was about to do. The soft mewl sound she made deep in her throat hardened him and he wanted nothing more than to keep kissing her. He embraced her in his arms, feeling all of her curves cuddled next to his hardness. With his hands splayed on her lower back, he pulled her close. Lord, could she kiss. He liked the way she tried to control him. His tongue melted with hers akin to a summer storm that wouldn’t let up. He wouldn’t allow her to shrink away when she pulled back.
“Gracious, Kenneth, I… I don’t know what you think you were doing but…”
Kenneth didn’t like that she flustered. He took a lock of her hair between his fingers, admiring the brightness and texture. He set the tress on her shoulder and let his hand rest upon it. The distraction seemed to settle her. Aye, she was a red-haired temptress.
“Elisa, we need to get back. You will marry me, won’t you? I won’t have you harmed. And Grey won’t give up until you wed one of us. You must decide right now.” Kenneth hoped he’d gained her accord, but women weren’t as easy to read and he was uncertain.
“If I must marry one of you, then I’m glad it will be you. But I make no promises to be a good wife, for I don’t know what is required.”
He frowned. “Then that makes two of us, for I have no idea what is required of a husband. I will make no promises.”
He took her hand and led her back to where the priest waited impatiently. She ran to keep up with him, and Kenneth slowed his pace. He stopped short before the group and tugged her to stand by his side. No one said a word and watched eagerly as if something miraculous had happened.



Don't miss On A Highland Hill
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSBJQ46

No comments: