Friday, September 20, 2019

Dark Moments - Unbreakable Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 2)

Dark Moments - Unbreakable Heart (Legend of the King's Guard - Book 2)
Excerpt copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin



Makenna didn’t care that she was being overemotional. For once in her life, she allowed self-pity to rule her heart. “I shall die … of a broken heart. Liam does not love me. For if he did, he wouldn’t have shouted at me. Nay, he would have let me take retribution as I’ve told him many times I needed to. I must leave. I do not want to see him again. If you won’t take me, then I shall go on my own.”
“How can ye not say he doesn’t love you? I’ve seen the look in his eyes when he bespoke of you to me. He worried for you, far more than I would have for my wife. A man cannot hide what’s in his heart.”
“We have no time to dispute this. The king is coming. I must find Liam and go,” Graeme insisted. “Take her and I’ll retrieve Liam.” He sauntered off.
Makenna sniffled and wiped her eyes, watching him retreat back toward the castle.
“We shall go. I cannot have you here when the battle ensues. Och, I want to aid the king. You’re making this choice difficult, niece.”
She rose and waited for his instruction, but he marched off and gave his men directions for them to stay and aid King Robert in retaking Bothwell. He chose five men to ride with him. One of the Mackenzie men secured a horse for her. Makenna rode out, happy to know at least Hawksberry was killed. At least, she suspected as much for the rage in Liam’s eyes attested to his intent.
Makenna didn’t speak until the sun rose. The summer morning was warm and the day would be bright with sunshine. But the beautiful day was lost on her. She was miserable.
“Where are we going?” she finally asked her uncle.
“Home to Kinross.”
A sadness thronged her chest. “But it was ruined, was it not?”
“Some buildings were damaged, but the keep is intact. Many are rebuilding. The weather has been fair and most are making the best of it whilst they can.”
She slowed her horse. “I cannot go there … to Kinross. Is there not an ally or other who you can take me to? I fear being there will be too much for me to bear.”
“I ken how ye feel, lass. There is nowhere else I would leave ye, lass. Besides, your sister will be pleased to see you. She asks of you each time I return. I have bespoke of what I knew … that ye found your betrothed. Do ye not wish to see her?”
Makenna gasped. “Roberta is alive?” She stopped her horse and waited for him to do the same. She stared at her uncle’s face in disbelief. “How?”
“She surely is alive and is wed to the Maclean now, but she refuses to leave Kinross until you return. Her husband is mighty put out about it.”
Makenna broke down in a mass of tears. Her dear sister hadn’t been killed. She lived.
“Why are ye weeping now?” her uncle asked, exasperated.
“I do apologize, Uncle, for I never weep. This is all too much to bear. It is the most joyous news. She survived. Is she well after her ordeal?”
“She is well enough, I suppose. Although, she doesn’t speak much of that day or what happened to her. Roberta told me of your courage and how you tried to save her. She’s been concerned for ye and swears that she won’t take her own happiness until she is sure of yours. Women are the vexing of me, I vow.” He turned and pressed ahead.
Makenna nudged her horse forward. “I will only return for Roberta’s sake. Then I must leave. I cannot be there …”
“Dearest niece, becalm yourself. If you cannot stay, I understand. What of your husband? He is sure to come for you.”
“What of him? I doubt he shall come for he bid me to leave and to go to you. He no longer has a need for me. We agreed to wed since the betrothal was in place. We made a pact, he and I. I would help him regain his family’s lands which were kept until his wedding, and he promised to help me learn the sword so I could find Hawksberry and kill him. Only one of us kept our vow, and it wasn’t Kincaid.”
“You ken he never intended to train you or permit ye to go after Hawksberry.”
She raised her chin. “I know that now.”
“You forget your duty and vows, lass. A wife’s duty is to obey her husband. You cannot walk away without incurring the gravest of sins. A wife stands by her husband’s decisions no matter if she agrees with him or nay.”
“What sin do you speak of?”
“To honor your husband. You ken he only tried to protect you. It was his right to do so. You are being a willful lass and should consider why your husband wanted to protect you. What other reason would he?”
Dare he speak of love? She couldn’t consider it. Makenna sighed dejectedly and lowered her chin in humility. Putting it like that, she had to nod in agreement. Yet she didn’t have to like the fact that her husband was doing what he thought was honorable. “If he loves me, he shall find me and believe me, Uncle, I shan’t make it easy for him.”
Iain Mackenzie kicked his horse’s flanks and trotted ahead. He peered over his shoulder and said, “By God, loving a woman is never easy.”



Don't miss Unbreakable Heart


No comments: