Saturday, September 14, 2019

First Kiss - Pendragon's Princess (Mystic Maidens of Britain Book 1)

First Kiss - Pendragon's Princess (Mystic Maidens of Britain Book 1)
Excerpt Copyright @ 2019 Kara Griffin



Rhyder sat at a long table overflowing with parchments and scrolls. Several jars of inks and quills sat in the center. He finished reading a parchment and set it upon the table before he glanced at her.
“If you’re busy, I can—”
“Nay, Katy, I’ve been waiting for you.”
She apprehensively stepped forward, and he placed his hands on her shoulders. “Where is the priest? Is it not proper for him to be here to bless the marriage bed?”
Rhyder raised one of his manly brows. “I don’t always do what’s proper.”
Katriona appreciated the sentiment. She didn’t either but now was not the time to tell him. At least that was one thing she need not worry about, being watched by others while doing her duty.
“I meant what I said…”
She raised her eyes and released her breath. “What did you say?”
“I vowed to make you happy.”
“That pleases me.” She didn’t know what else to say. He continued to hold her shoulders, and she kept her hands at her sides. Her senses forced her to close her eyes and focus on the swarm of emotions. Not only hers but his as well. Katriona hadn’t been as restless in a long time, but given what was expected of her, it was natural. His emotions confused her for she sensed the happiness of his mind, but the deep grief of his heart. Something dark and foreboding lurked in his soul.
“I am fortunate in my wife. You are beautiful, Katy.”
“As are you, Rhyder.” Those words did him no justice for he was handsome. His hair curled slightly and its color a rich sable. His face, manly with a sharp jaw and squared chin, beardless. Katriona hadn’t taken time to study him before now. She gazed at him overlong and took in his features. He stood taller than she, at least a foot higher. She felt delicate standing near him, womanly and utterly feminine. His body was muscular, but not burly and his limbs long and fit. It was then she noticed he wore no tunic and the dark symbol of a dragon etched on the left side of his chest above his heart. He wore a pair of worn brown breeches which hugged his narrowed hips.
Katriona had seen many men’s bared chests before for her father’s soldiers liked to practice arms clad only in their breeches when the weather warm. Mama often remarked at the indecency of their attire. Rhyder’s chest appeared strong and naked with very little hair. But what held her enthrall was the dragon image. She wanted to touch the etching and ask about it, but wouldn’t dare.
He lifted her chin and said, “You’re quiet. It’s best to feel and not get caught in your thoughts. I also meant what I said when I told you I didn’t want you to fear me.”
“I’m not afraid.” She stood rigid.
“You can release my arms then.” He kissed her forehead and released her shoulders. “You may leave. Goodnight.”
Katriona hadn’t realized she’d gripped his arms. She scowled at the realization and pulled away. Before she reached the door, she turned and considered her duty. Not one to back down, she returned to him. “I don’t understand why you’re sending me away.”
“You’re not ready. I will give you time to adjust.”
She gripped the tie of her robe and hoped courage came. “That is kind of you, but I insist on doing my duty. It is better to get it over with.” He chuckled and the sound lightened her. Katriona wasn’t a shrew, but she’d never had to be seductive. Ready or not, she would not shirk her duty. The thought of touching him calmed her.
“We can wait, Katy. I won’t force you.”
“You’re not forcing me. I am not afraid…it’s just…I’ve never been with a man and…this is new to me.” Katriona slid the fabric of her robe from her shoulders. She let the fabric flutter to the floor. Never in her life had she been so brazen or exposed. She stood naked before him and held her breath.
Rhyder’s chuckle died in his throat and his eyes fastened on hers. “You’re even more beautiful than I imagined. I will not rush this for I’m not of the same mind. I don’t want it to be over. Are you certain you’re ready?” He stepped closer to her but kept a few feet distance.
“Aye, I am. It’s your turn to undress. Is that not how this works?”
He flashed a grin. “It is. Very well, sweet lass.” Once his breeches were removed, they stood face to face. Neither was willing to make the first move.
Katriona’s voice shook when she asked, “Should we…kiss?”
Rhyder took her in his arms. His body was warm against hers and oddly pleasing. Katriona closed her eyes and waited for him to kiss her and tried to disregard the emotions he was emitting. After a moment, she opened her eyes and searched his face for rejection, certain he wanted nothing to do with her.
“I want you to enjoy being with me.” He pressed a light kiss on her lips, then another, and another.
Katriona pulled him close and settled her hands on his hips. She responded to the passionate way his mouth moved over hers. He groaned when she met his tongue. The kiss turned breathless, and she took a gasp of air before settling her mouth back on his. He wouldn’t let her back away and kept her pressed against him. Her breasts strained against his chest and ached to be touched. His mouth ravished hers with hard and soft kisses and each twirl of his tongue sent her further into chaos. She found kissing him enjoyable and recalled him asking if she felt it after the ceremony. The ‘it’ he mentioned was definitely desire.
But there was more than desire and the feelings swarming him earlier needed great reflection. When her hand joined his, the touch brought forth a rush of emotions—many of his sentiments which she had yet to understand or consider.



Don't miss Pendragon's Princess
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWQPS41

No comments: