Monday, July 27, 2020

Monday's Musings - In Love With A Warrior




Hello Readers! Welcome back to Monday's Musings. This week we talk about In Love With A Warrior. SO James Gunn is probably one of my most tortured heroes. I just love him and his braw (strong). He's definitely a hero to sigh over. And Emlyn, I wanted to smack her throughout the book, because she tried to thwart the relationship with James. I won in the end, lol.

James fell in love with Emyln at first sight. He's a man who knows what he wants, but unfortunately, he has to go through hell to get it. Emlyn is a woman who is ahead of her time, but when she risks losing James, she must figure out how to be herself and give in a little.

This was my first foray into medieval Wales and let me tell you, the stories I could write...which I plan to. It's as beautiful, stark, and magical as Scotland, and I am completely drawn to it. In researching for this story, I always try to bring actual historical figures into the tale. William Marshall, the son of the most famous knight of all time, was my villain. I had to make him a little chivalrous because his father would've had an impact on his behavior. He was somewhat gentle when it came to dealing with Emlyn.

I wanted Emlyn to have a pet (because you know how I love to include animals in my stories) and in my research for the kind of dog she would have, I cam across weird but true animal friendships. There was a dog and owl in Wales that befriended each other. I thought they'd make the perfect duo for our heroine. You can find out more about them here:  http://www.today.com/pets/magical-mates-owl-hitches-ride-dogs-back-739540

In Welsh mythology and literature, the Pair Dadeni (The Cauldron of Rebirth) is a magical cauldron able to revive the dead. I couldn’t resist including it in the story. I hope to one day explore Wales’ realms and see the awe-inspiring places that have enriched the folklore of that land. Additionally, Llywelyn is said to be the last great chieftain to rule Wales. David, the chieftain’s son, was unable to keep Wales from the powerful English king’s army and was executed for treason in 1283 by Edward I of England.

Ending a series is like breaking up with your hero. I was sad to leave the Gunns and sometimes I reread the stories because they're every Historical Romance lover's dream.

Join me next week and we'll begin delving into the remarkable tales of the Legend of the King's Guard, a series that takes place during the Wars of Independence.

Happy Historical Reading,
Kara Griffin

No comments: