Monday, July 20, 2020

Monday's Musings - A Highlander In Peril


Hello Readers! So we continue our musings with A Highland In Peril. Confession here, as I was writing this story it gave me such contention. I wasn't sure I liked the story or the hero or heroine. By the time I finished it, I fell in love with them. Sean Gunn is such a gentle warrior and Frances, a spirited lass. It's funny, but readers really enjoyed their chemistry. I pulled my hair out to make them fall in love, lol. But it was worth the torment in the end.

As to the historical elements, I always try to enrich my stories with historical facts. I also love adding old tales or stories in them. The Fox and the Goose story was found on Electric Scotland and is a Scottish children's story. And if you've read the book, you probably enjoyed Mistress Ina's antics. I came across the story of Finn Mac Cool and the ballad 'Am BrĂ²n Binn' on EducationScotland.gov.uk. She's a saucy woman for sure.

With Sean and Frances' story, I had to mix in a little drama on the part of Scotland's queen. Alexander married Joan when she was only eleven years old. Imagine that, marrying a man at such an age. Poor Joan, right? But Joan was close to her brother Henry, the king of England, at the time. She didn't have a strong position in Alexander's court. And Alexander was plagued during his rein with wanting the lands that were promised to him when he married her. The two kingdoms settled their disputes with the Treaty of York, which finally defined the boundary lines between the countries -- and which still stands today. So perhaps it's a good thing Alexander married Joan.

I loved that the characters all meet up again at the Gunn keep on Saint Swithin's Day. That holiday is endeared to me and I couldn't resist adding it again.

This book is probably the darkest Scottish romance I'd written. The villain is deceptive, but you get a sense of why he does what he does... During this time, people were fearful of superstitions and our villain uses such to get notoriety. He's truly a knave.

I hope you read the story if you haven't, and if you have, loved the story. In the end, it's truly a romantic tale worth your time.

Happy Historical Reading,
Kara Griffin



No comments: