Monday, June 15, 2020

Monday's Musings - Warrior's Pledge

Warrior's Pledge was my first book. I will never forget the love and heart that went into that book. Unfortunately, I hadn't included an author note, but below, you'll find some of the ideas and research that went into the story.

The inspiration for Warrior's Pledge came about from a dream I had while I was sleeping in the car on the way home during an 18 hour drive from Chicago. Of course I'd been an avid Historical Romance reader at the time and was devouring books at least one per day then.

When I got home, I got on the computer and started writing. The name Julianna was inspired by my Great-great-grandmother. Of course I had to add a little magical element in the story which is where Julianna's friend Bleeth comes in. The heroine's story came to me and I researched King John's life and learned his father King Henry II had many mistresses and children out of wedlock (but didn't they all!) I wanted her to be related to John and so I made her his sister via his father. Her story begins as a young girl who witnesses her mother's death - but as all children of a young age, memories are hard to decipher. 

{This actually is a personal connection for me. My father died when I was four. Through my life memories have come to me of him. When I spoke of them to my mom, she clarified the actual situation. Of course I had a different view as a child so it was nice to find out the reality of my memories.}

Colin's life was filled with turmoil with the dysfunction of his family (his parents had a terrible relationship - but no spoilers here lol). He has a good relationship with his brothers and clan, but doesn't think he's capable of love. Perhaps Juliana will prove him wrong on that matter.

In this book, I enjoyed the descriptive scenes of the Scottish landscape. Because I was landlocked here in the US I did extensive research and fell in love with its stark beauty. It's said that during Pangaea Scotland was connected to North America around the north eastern part of the US. I have lived in Pennsylvania and there are many similarities of the land there, rocky mountainous places, streams, lakes, etc. When the Highland clearances happened in the 1600's many Scots found their way to Pennsylvania. I like to think they settled there because it reminded them of home.

George, the goat in the story, was inspired by a dog we once had that was such a trouble-maker. He wouldn't stay out when he was supposed to or in. I love adding animals/pets to my story. Animals have always been a part of human's life and adding them makes characters more interesting and lifelike.

That's it for now :) Be sure to check back next week when I share inspiration/research bits about Claimed By A Charmer.

Happy Historical Reading!
Kara Griffin
 

No comments: