Monday, June 22, 2020

Monday's Musings - Claimed By A Charmer


Hi Readers, welcome back to Monday's Musings. Early on in writing my books, I didn't include an Author Note, but I will discuss some of the elements in the second book in the Pith Trilogy. In case you didn't know Pith means love. So the books are really the love trilogy :)

Today I'm talking about Claimed By A Charmer (one of my favorite books) although, I love all the stories I've written. This book is kind of dear to my heart. The heroine Isabel is probably the character I most identify myself with.

Her backstory - she has a terrible home life and gets to go to her uncles where she meets a friend. They have a lifelong friendship and Isabel falls hard for her friend's brother. Unfortunately, Isabel has an unruly father, a despicable brother, and a brother who she loves dearly.

Douglas is every lass's dream. He's ever the charmer and captures Isabel's affection (well not really) from the moment they meet.

SO the musing -- This story came to me on a Sunday morning as I was watching some book related show (can't remember the name now, but it was on PBS) and they were discussing a movie The Magdalene Sisters. If you don't recall it, it was about {Three young Irish women struggle to maintain their spirits while they endure dehumanizing abuse as inmates of a Magdalene Sisters Asylum.}

Isabel's story instantly came to me while I listened to some of the horrible things the girls endured in the movie. Though the movie was set in Ireland, my story takes place in Scotland -- and also the asylum Isabel is sent to is one that is ruled by an awful caretaker, not nuns. So there are vast differences. I just imagined what would my heroine do if she was sent to such a place and the story wrote itself.

Isabel makes me want to be courageous, to face the world head on, and win. She's a gentle woman faced with dark moments. But she also is kind and wants to save the world.

Douglas is a swoon-worthy hero, although he saves Isabel a few times, he's also saved by her. Mentioned in the story is Douglas's stepmother who has a tattoo. People have been putting images on their bodies forever - going back to ancient times of the Picts etc. So that she had one wasn't really a stretch. I love that element of the story because Douglas needs it to prove to Isabel he loves her. No spoilers here lol.

Poor Douglas unfortunately makes an enemy who hexes him throughout the book. But he doesn't know who is causing the trouble. When he finds out, he's relieved he made certain choices in his life. The mystical element is underlying and not the focus of the book, but it make for an interesting twist to the story. I had a great time researching potions, hexes, and mystical chants.

The themes of this book are rich with friendship, family, courage, and love.

I hope you enjoyed this insight into the book and its research.

Stop back and we'll take a look at Lass' Valor next week.

Happy Historical Reading,
Kara Griffin

No comments: