Saturday, September 8, 2012
Top 5 Reasons I Love Reading Historical Romances
TOP 5 REASONS I LOVE READING HISTORICAL ROMANCES
1. Chilvary - There's nothing like a dashing hero who can be both obstinate and gentle, who isn't afraid to show a little courtly romance... But let's face it, men were brutal in the past. Of course they faced many dangerous situations then, like foes who carried massive swords or villains who conspired to thwart them anyway they could. Yet there is nothing grandure than a hero rescuing a maiden from a tower!
2. Maidens - I love heroines who could be dainty and demure, yet kickass and who doesn't give up. A heroine who gets her man! Being a woman was hard in those days. She had to submit to her hero and yet she had to be strong, perhaps even willful enough to challenge him from time to time.
3. Passion - People were so passionate about what was important to them. Nothing would stand in their way when they wanted something or someone. A hero would defend his land, woman, or people to his death if need be. Sigh, to be so fervent...
4. Attire - Clothing was not as simple as now a days. Depending upon the status of a person, their garments could be very simple. I would rather be a noble who had to dress to impress. Even though they wore clothing loose, they'd add items to embellish the look. I'd wear a long overdress, sewn with beautiful bodice and sleeves (I would probably have to ask someone to sew it for me - alas I cannot sew!) I would wear my hair long and fasionable. Although, I don't want to think about when the weather warmed. It probably got really hot wearing all those layers.
5. Beliefs - In days gone by, people were so supersitious. I suppose I am too, which is why I can connect with the ancients. I love folkelore and the tall tales of mystical creatures coming to destroy the village.
What are your reasons for loving and enjoying historical romance?